1.20.2009

The American Dream






In light of the day's moving and historical events, I want to take this time to share a few thoughts;

What an amazing experience we as Americans get to share today. Not only is this inauguration historical in the fact that we now have a president of African American decent, but the fire that has been ignited under our feet and in our hearts. Despite ones personal political beliefs and affiliations, I believe that we are witnessing the dawn of a new era. When have we seen (besides political party rallies), a mass political gatherings in the idea of a peoples' hope to be heard? The only times I can recall seeing such a public display of political elation are the instances of a country being released from some form of government opression, i.e., Poland, Russia, Germany, etc. It seems as though our country has not had an inspiring leader in decades. I have not personally heard or heard of an orator that sparked such emotion since President John F. Kennedy in quite some time. This is what we need. President Obama's "Call to Service" is what we need. We all need to be able to stand and do what we can to get to work. No matter how large or small our contribution may be. That we all stand accountable for ourselves. We all should hold our government to higher standards. After all, these factors are what our nation was founded on; a government accountable to it's people.

Don't misunderstand, this is not an endorsement for Barack Obama. This is ownership. We are where we are. Let's do this, let's claim our country back. Sure it sounds naive and optimistic. Isn't that what was said to our founding fathers about endorsing a new nation and a constitution? If we don't work on this now, what happens tomorrow? This is The American Dream; Living today to make a better tomorrow, both for ourselves and for those around us... To be prosperous, both morally and fiscally... The pursuit of happiness, whatever that may mean to each and everyone of us. No where in these things mentioned before do politics play a part. We are ONE NATION.
Having said all of that, I also want to take this time to share some more personal ambitions of my own. Some of you may know, I am currently enrolled in school to finish my degree. I am pursuing a bachealors in Political Science with a strong focus on foreign relations. Once I have completed that, I look to get my masters as well. That focus has yet to be determined. As of now, I am also going to be taking the US Embassy's Foreign Service Officer's exam in February. It is my hope to one day serve our country once again, by holding an office elected by the people.

So off I go, to pursue my American Dream with all the hope and optimism I can muster and to give what contribution I can to make our wonderful country a better place for my daughter and her children.

No comments:

Post a Comment