6.26.2009

Is it just me?


I cannot begin to describe my frustration with my college courses, but I am going to try anyway. It's time for a little venting.

School started again for me after 10 years this past January. I truly enjoyed having some brain candy to chew on and finally getting the opportunity to finish my degree. What I do not enjoy is lack of a challenge. The courses themselves are fine, to date I have already taken Intro to poly-sci, Sociology, a silly "how-to-be-a-college-student" course, and a library research class. Currently I am taking Philosophy on moral issues, and a writing course. What bothers me about the 10 weeks of condensed and intense learning sessions is the overload of personal opinion without something to support an idea. Political science is my major, so many of the course are geared to teach us to analyze different reference material and support our claims. Yet, all I read or the responses I get from others is that they "think, believe, feel" one way about something, therefore it should be so. NO, it should not be so. This is what goes on inside my head:

Please, just don't step outside your box to complete the
assignments by the instructor's directions. Please, just
continue to lecture me on your personal moral beliefs
and social standards with no substance what-so-ever.
I do so enjoy endless, pointless noise coming out of 17
of 21 students' mouths. (or should I say, computer post?)


I realize how cynical I sound, as well as conceited. But this prime example of what I describe is the same thing everyday. It makes class so, incredibly mundane and, as a result, I don't want to participate, because all I will get back is rubbish. Not all the other people are this way, sometimes there are about 3 of us who can carry on a great discussion. Otherwise, I don't understand why some others are even in school, when they don't want to try to see outside their cardboard box and truly do the assignments correctly. I am hoping that my upper level courses, starting this winter, will be a bit better, because at this point, I am simply biting my tongue as hard as I can to not "school" these other people in my classes. It isn't that I do not respect or even agree with their posts, it is simply that the instructions are to think about these assignments in a particular frame of mind, not of our own traditionally socialized perspective. (That is the safe zone) You learn nothing by not stretching your knowledge. This is completely separate from your beliefs, tolerance and acceptance, just your variety of knowledge. Arrrrgggghhh!
Thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment